Intellectual boundaries – aren’t we all out of school by now? Just because our academic life may be over doesn’t mean we aren’t still growing mentally. We continue to learn and gain wisdom throughout our life. So what are we responsible for mentally?
- How the material we watch and read affects our worldview and belief system
- Determining the validity of sources (fool me once, shame on you…)
And since intellectual development isn’t a huge priority nowadays, we often need to set some boundaries on ourselves. Otherwise it becomes easy to stop thinking and simply accept whatever we hear. Here are some of my intellectual boundaries:
- I always have a book or two that I’m reading, either from my collection or the library
- I get my news from articles and papers only
- When I hear something new or controversial on TV, I’ll find a book to read about it