What do spiritual boundaries look like? Often that depends on what religion a person adheres to. As a Christian, I will use my own spiritual boundaries as examples, but please know that I am not prescribing these boundaries to anyone, Christian or not. I am simply sharing to give insight and inspiration to those who want to examine their own spiritual boundaries.
I should note that this is one area where I tend to disagree with the Boundaries book by Cloud and Townsend. I personally find their chapter on Boundaries and God to be too anthropomorphized and simplistic. But it is a good starting point.
What am I responsible for in my relationship with God?
- My spiritual disciplines, which keep me in contact with Her
- My will, which I struggle to keep submitted to Her
- My participation in a faith community which keeps me grounded and supported
And so here are some boundaries I have set for myself.
- Daily prayer
- Involvement with a church, both in attendance and in volunteering
- Quarterly spiritual retreats